SWGB is a Wines of Great Britain initiative that seeks to secure sustainability at the heart of UK wine production by creating a strong and vibrant community that actively promotes sustainability through information sharing, research, and a certification scheme that is inclusive, effective and well-respected by our customers.
SWGB publishes an online bulletin every month dealing with sustainability issues relevant to UK wine producers. It also organises regular meetings and webinars.
Our members commit to working toward the 11 SWGB sustainability scheme objectives (six vinegrowing and five winemaking), via scheme guidelines and a cycle of continuous improvement. They are audited by a third party (Ricardo) in the year of joining, then every three years.
Members who successfully complete their audits may bear the SWGB trademark on their products.
All our members must measure, then evaluate and plan to improve, their progress on the following objectives:
• Maintain and improve soil health
• Manage vineyard canopies and yields optimally
• Minimise and optimise pesticide inputs
• Conserve the vineyard (and surrounding) environment and promote biodiversity
• Reduce vineyard carbon footprint per hectare
• Reduce, re-use and recycle vineyard waste
• Improve winery design to reduce environmental impact
• Reduce the energy and water footprint per bottle of wine
• Reduce the environmental impact of wine packaging
• Reduce the carbon footprint per bottle of wine
• Reduce, re-use and recycle winery waste and wastewater
Looking ahead, what are the longer-term company goals?
Our ambition is to introduce new objectives and guidelines in the following areas within three years:
- Human rights and diversity
- Employee wellbeing and quality of life
- Employee information & participation
- Community engagement